The Google Cloud Healthcare API is a powerful option for storing medical imaging data in the cloud.
An alternative to deploying your own PACS is to use a software-as-a-service provider such as Google Cloud. The Cloud Healthcare API promises to be a scalable, secure, cost effective image storage solution for those willing to store their data in the cloud. It offers an almost-entirely complete DICOMWeb API which requires tokens generated via the OAuth 2.0 Sign In flow. Images can even be transcoded on the fly if this is desired.
- Create a Google Cloud account
- Create a project in Google Cloud
- Enable the Cloud Healthcare API for
- (Optional): Create a Dataset and Data Store for storing your DICOM data
- Enable the
Cloud Resource Manager API for
- Note: If you are having trouble finding the APIs, use the search box at the top of the Cloud console.
- Go to APIs & Services > Credentials to create an OAuth Consent screen and fill
in your application details.
- Under Scopes for Google APIs, click "manually paste scopes".
- Add the following scopes:
Go to APIs & Services > Credentials to create a new set of credentials:
- Choose the "Web Application" type
- Set up an OAuth 2.0 Client ID
- Add your domain (e.g.
- Add your domain, plus
http://localhost:3000/callback) to Authorized Redirect URIs.
- Save your Client ID for later.
(Optional): Enable Public Datasets that are being hosted by Google: https://cloud.google.com/healthcare/docs/resources/public-datasets/
- Open the
config/google.jsfile and change
YOURCLIENTIDto your Client ID value.
- Run the OHIF Viewer using the config/google.js configuration file
cd OHIFViewer yarn install APP_CONFIG=config/google.js yarn run dev
The OHIF Viewer Docker container can be connected to Google Cloud Healthcare by providing a Client ID at runtime. This is a very simple method to get up and running.
- Install Docker (https://www.docker.com/)
- Run the Docker container, providing a Client ID as an environment variable.
Client IDs look like
docker run --env CLIENT_ID=$CLIENT_ID --publish 5000:80 ohif/viewer:latest